Good Morning readers,
We are coming to you from beautiful coastal Georgia this morning. To my right is a charming fountain, my left beautiful palm trees and to my center, a gnarling DCspy demanding a post be written prior to the beach.
At any rate, all I ever hear from DC residents is complaining. It’s too hot. There isn’t enough to do. Why are there so many Red Sox fans (legitimate)? All of which got me thinking (in admittedly enviable environs) what are some of the things I miss most about DC right now?
- Creature comforts. Say what you will about this, but for being a major city, DC is very,very easy to live in. People tend to take this for granted, but the fact we can get from point A to point B in a matter of minutes is astoundingly nice. Moreover, apartments tend to be rather nice, street parking is relatively easy and we can get out to the burbs very quickly. While this is hardly the most exciting aspect of our fair burg, it’s one that is highly unusual for a city of our size.
- Nature. God is this an under-reported part of our town. In addition to the hundreds of green spaces, there is Roosevelt Island and Great Falls where we can go hiking , several boat houses where we can go boating, fishing or even swimming (all of which are great places not to invite your brother to). I love city-life and likely will never leave it, but having access to nature is crucial to my sanity.
- Local sports. Not because I like ANY of the teams (though the Nats have a certain place in my heart) but rather because I love watching them set stupid expectations due to the preseason, draft, free agent signings, et al, only to let EVERYONE down. In addition to giving me hundreds of words of usable copy each week, the schadenfreude I experience watching the locals each week is more than I can express. Anytime I worry I am being mean, I bump into some idiot Caps fan and remember why I am on the side of all things good and decent.
- Crabs. Oh my god do I love blue crabs and old bay. If there are any Jews or Muslims out there needing a reason to break their covenant with God, this would be my suggested method
- Residents with low-expectations. Especially for top 5 lists.
Think you have a better top 5? Please feel free to comment. Just be kind, we are on vacation and are kind of half-assing it.